Your blog is a piece of your website that you and your business treasure dearly. It announces new products, gives fun how-to’s, and connects with your customers on a personal level. You’re scrolling through your blog, when you come across a comment like this:
“Keep up the superb piece of work, I read few articles on this website and I believe that your site is rattling interesting and has circles of superb info.”
“Circles of superb info”? Um, what?
You keep scrolling, ignoring the gibberish that you just read. You stumble upon this interesting comment:
“All of us – love hunters, othres sneak up to the victim, some of them take care of it, othres find the love by giving her own, the rest tend to her like night flowers at sunrise, powerless to resist in the rings of rash and emotional hunger.”
“Excuse me?” You think, as you look twice at this comment that was so obviously not directed towards your blog post about finger food recipes. You give it another go and keep scrolling until you feast your eyes on this beauty:
“”David Bowie – Hours: The Collector’s Edition (2012) Tracks: 15 | Year: 2012 |Quality: MP3 | 320kbps | Size: 170 Mb |Genre: Pop Rock SC”
Okay, that’s enough. But really. David Bowie? Come on. What does any of this have to do with my business?
The truth is, these nonsense comments really do not have anything to do with your business’ blog. Spammers, or people that make a business of doing SEO the wrong way, find their way into your links, blog post comments, and other gobbledygook that makes its way onto your brand’s page. By duplicating content over and over, Spammers think that using the same content will boost their rankings in Google. They may leave comments that do seem relevant at first glance and help boost their rankings, but the plain and simple truth is that Google absolutely despises duplicate content, making it harder for the people who try to do SEO correctly.
Here’s why spam comments are irritating and can hurt your blog:
- They clog up your blog! They divert attention away from whatever you are writing about in the post. Sure, the comment might not make a whole lot of sense, but it sure does grab your reader’s attention for a quick second. This in return make the topic at hand a lot less interesting than trying to decipher a spammer’s failed attempt at producing natural SEO.
- They take forever to sort out. Most blog platforms have add-on’s, such as WordPress’ Spam Plugins that filter all your blog comments into one place. This can sometimes be overwhelming, but it is a great way to pick and choose the good ones from the bad ones.
- Spammy comments can put your readers at risk for Malware and viruses, which is something no business would want to deal with.
So why even have a blog if these sneaky spammers are going to screw it up for everyone?
Don’t get discouraged just yet. Having a blog does hold a certain value to your business, as well as making it easier to provide SEO-friendly content. Here are the reasons why having a blog can help you sell more and boost your rankings:
- Google loves fresh content! Something completely original, clean and optimized perfectly for the search engines can boost your rankings. If it’s uniquely written and relevant to what your business is about, a blog can do wonder’s for your website’s ranking.
- Surprisingly, blog posts rank higher over short periods of time than any other piece of content. What a great way to get in touch with your customers, while relating to them on a personal level with fun recipes or quotes.
- It’s another avenue for your audience to find you on. It can also be cross promoted with unique and new copy on your social media pages, which in return brings people back to your website. It sounds like a win/win, right?
Solid Cactus, provides blog management services to our clients. Instead of you sorting through all these spammer’s comments, we have it under control. We do this by getting rid of the unnecessary comments and help regularly post relevant, SEO-friendly content to your blog. Not sure how to even begin to start a blog for your website? We can also build you one. We’re like the superheroes of the SEO industry: protecting and fighting off the spam villains, as well as doing optimization the correct and organic way.
For more information about our blog services, please visit the SEO section of our website.